Here Comes The Pumpkin Spice Tsunami
Six reasons why pumpkin spice is not overhyped.
By Lillian La Salle
Are you exhausted by the autumn alliterations adorning every bottle of lotion and body wash in the nearest store? Do the underlying hints of cinnamon and nutmeg in seemingly every cookie, coffee, cake, and meal you have this fall season repulse you? Are you tired of the flavor and smell of a spice getting all this recognition?
Well, my most unenthused pumpkin spice adversaries, I agree with you to some extent, but even I get wrapped up in the splendor of the spice when it comes around for the fall. Although I agree the spice is overhyped, it does fulfill some of its high praises:
1. The smell: The exciting pumpkin-spice scent will never fail to bring me the “fall feelings” that so many of us associate with the season. We know that the minute we smell the cinnamon, that fall is upon us. It's time to bust out the crimson and gold color schemes, fuzzy blankets, hot coffee, and ride the pumpkin spice wave all the way to the Christmas season.
2. The aesthetic: You can’t miss the pumpkin spice people wrapped up in their chunky knit cardigans of warm autumn hues with a strategically placed beanie to complete their fall fashion choice. These people help signal to everyone that pumpkin spice season has begun, and guide the way to the pumpkin spice treats and things.
3. The coffee: As soon as August 30th hits, you will know it's pumpkin spice season from the Starbucks line that stretches around the corner to block your entry to the grocery store parking lot. People can’t get enough of this flavoring and will walk into every meeting, class, or social gathering with the holiday coffee cup in hand, ready to roll now that they've gotten the pumpkin spice pickup. This new cinnamon kick and pumpkin flavoring will bring joy to veteran and newbie coffee drinkers alike who grow tired of the monotonous taste of jitter juice.
4. The food: For a select few, the introduction of pumpkin pastries and nutmeg spices will churn their stomachs. But for the most part, pumpkin spice does hold up well in the food department. Of course, it depends on what and where you get your fall treat. I personally think Target does a wonderful job at giving you classic goodies like yogurt coated pretzels, cookies, and candies that all have the delicious balanced undertones of the pumpkin spice you are craving.
5. The jokes: The humor that follows the introduction of the pumpkin-spice flavor is unmatched. From the pumpkin-spice obsessed coffee drinkers to those who make the flavor the essence of their personality, I highly recommend searching up some of these witty jokes about pumpkin spice lovers. Christian girl autumn memes anyone?
6. The feeling: The fall feeling of a warm fire and an ultra-plush blanket quickly follow any inhale or taste of that glorious pumpkin spice. Commonly associated with the nip of autumn air that reminds us that not only Thanksgiving break is soon approaching, but it will soon be socially acceptable to talk about Christmas! Christmas lovers can finally blast Mariah Carey outside and sing along without getting blank stares from strangers as long as Pumpkin spice leads the charge.
So there you have it SMC, the many offerings of the world of Pumpkin Spice! Of course, you can still hold your grudge against the all-encompassing fall flavor, but I encourage you all to enjoy some sort of pumpkin product before this wonderful season is over.
Leave a Reply.
Ryan Ford '23,